Storing and Wearing
- Handmade bead embroidered handbags and clutches are very delicate.
- Handmade handbags and clutches are very delicate.
- Handle handcrafted bag with care, store it properly in breathable fabric duster bag (even clean pillowcases) to protect it from dust and control moisture damage, and to prevent a bead embroidery from damage.
- Never store your purses in the bottom of a closet. Find a dark, dry, cool area with good air circulation for storing handmade handbags. Avoid attics and basements.
- To prevent dye transfer, do not store a handbag touching other items.
- Try to keep the handmade handbag, especially the embroidered part, away from intense sunlight, heat, humidity, chemicals, perfume, makeup, shampoo, and soap. This can weaken and damage the thread and the gemstones/beads. Take care to avoid dropping it onto hard surfaces to prevent any gemstones or crystals from chipping.
- Bead embroidered gemstones should not be placed in the direct sun, as some finishes may fade and lose their color.
- Never use grease or Vaseline. It will shine for a while and then start destroying the finish and collecting dust.
- Small scratches can be removed by rubbing them gently with your finger. The natural oils on your hands will work nicely into the leather.
- In the event your handbag gets soiled other than with permanent dyes, try gently dabbing the leather with a clean, dry cloth and mild leather cream.
- To care for your handbag, simply wipe the fabric with a clean soft, damp cloth to remove surface dirt.
- Please avoid ink marks, grease, permanent dyes from dark denim, and oil stain, as they are not removable and should be left alone.
- For most handbags, no single cleaner or cleaning technique can be used. If the wrong chemical is used, it creates serious problems if it bleeds between the leather and the fabric of the purse.
Gemstones / Bead Embroidery
- I recommend using a small dry paintbrush with flexible bristles and damp cloth to wipe dust from a face of the piece. Large crystals or glass beads can be polished with jewelry polishing cloth or jewelry wipes.
- To remove tarnishing from all metal parts (gold/silver plating, sterling silver, gold-filled, etc) I recommend to use the CONNOISSEURS DRY DISPOSABLE JEWELRY WIPES (you can find them in any department store, i.e. Walmart’s
jewelry department). If it is already tarnished, use these wipes or a polishing cloth to bring a shine back.